We offer many residential systems that allow for a variety of alarms intrusion alarms, panic alarms, video-verified intrusion alarms, and CCTV systems with remote viewing capability. In addition to these safeguards, here are a few tips on how to protect your home while you are away.
- Determine the length of time you will be away. If you will be away for an extended period of time, stop your mail with the post office. Also, have the newspaper hold your deliveries to prevent piling up in your driveway. This signals to others you are away and your home is vulnerable. If you will only be away for a few days, contact a trusted neighbor to pick your mail and paper up for you.
- Also, enlist their help to keep an eye on your property for suspicious activity. Make sure they have your contact information so they may contact you in the event of an emergency.
Invest in a timer for the lights on your home. This gives the illusion someone is there. If you trust a neighbor or nearby family member to see to your pets or houseplants, have them alternate the lighting to achieve the same effect.
- Ensure that all doors and windows are securely locked, and that your home alarm system is armed. If you will be away, it is wise to have a preventative-maintenance check on your system to ensure it is working properly before your departure. Call us at 1-866-444-3778, we can take care of that for you!
- Beware of social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, and broadcasting the dates you will be away. There have been numerous robberies of families who have attended funerals of loved ones, simply because it was published in a paper or online. This is a real threat, let only those who need to know you will be gone, your plans.
- If you will be gone for a super-long period of time, have a service or a trusted neighbor mow or shovel snow on your property. Unkept property insinuates no one is home and all valuables are for the taking.
- And always….always….make sure your pets are taken care of. If you have a trusted friend, neighbor, or family member seeing to your pets, they could possibly gather your mail/paper and tend to your lights and houseplants as well.